Search Site
Modification Orders

We Pursue or Challenge Modifications of Your Divorce Decree

Alimony, child support and custody orders can be modified

To ask the court to change your alimony, child support or child custody order at any point after your divorce is final, your attorney must file a motion with the court. The motion must demonstrate that there has been a material change in circumstances that warrants a modification of the order.

And in the case of an order dealing with child support or custody, the motion also must explain how the proposed modification would serve the best interests of the child. The Rockville and Frederick family law attorneys at Haspel & McLeod, P.C. have many years of experience in pursuing and challenging requests for modifications of alimony, child support, child visitation and child custody.

The process of modifying a child support order

Either the parent who pays child support or the parent who receives it can ask the court to modify the support order at any time before the child’s 18th birthday. To win a modification, you must show that the circumstances that existed at the time of the last child support order have changed materially. There is no limit on how often you can request a modification.

In Maryland, if either parent’s income has increased or decreased substantially, by 25 percent or more, the court is likely to grant a modification of the child support order. If the child’s needs change dramatically — because of illness or disability, for example — the court also is likely to increase the support. The mere passage of time also can justify an increase because clothes, food and other essentials cost more as the child gets older.

Support can be reduced if, for example, the custodial parent receives a large inheritance, wins the lottery or gets a big pay raise. It can also be reduced if the noncustodial parent becomes unemployed, disabled or imprisoned. Any modification of a support order should be done formally, through the court. It is not prudent to make an oral agreement with your ex-spouse to increase or decrease the support. Consult the Frederick & Rockville divorce attorneys at Haspel & McLeod, P.C. if you are considering a modification of a child support order.

What if my ex-spouse has chosen not to work?

An ex-spouse cannot avoid a support obligation by intentionally failing to make money. Maryland law calls this “voluntary impoverishment.” If the court finds that your ex-spouse has voluntarily impoverished himself or herself, the court will set the amount of support at the level that would be appropriate if he or she were working. In doing so, the court will consider your ex-spouse’s health, education, work history and efforts to find work. The Court can impute income to a spouse who it finds is voluntarily impoverished.

Maryland courts do not consider being in jail or prison to be voluntary impoverishment — unless the ex-spouse committed a crime just to avoid paying support. Support payments must resume when the imprisonment ends.

Can a child custody order be modified in Maryland?

The parent who wants to have a child custody order changed has the burden of persuading the court that it should be modified. Courts favor stability for children, so the judge is unlikely to disturb the current custody arrangement unless you can show that the current situation is no longer in the best interest the child.

A child who is 16 or older can seek a change in custody on his or her own. But, again, the child would have the burden of proving that a change of custody would serve his or her best interests.

Contact us about modifications of your divorce orders

The family law attorneys at Haspel & McLeod, P.C. represent those who are seeking or opposing a modification of an alimony, child support or child custody order. Call us at 301-631-0592, or contact us online today. Our offices are in Frederick and Rockville. Our Maryland attorneys represent individuals and families throughout Frederick, Montgomery and Howard counties.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

  • "I just wanted to thank you for all the hard work you’ve put into my case, I want you to know that I appreciate everything you’ve done for me and the girls. You’ve been a great lawyer"

  • "I would highly recommend Gwen. She is an excellent lawyer in terms of her knowledge, as well as her compassion. She fought for everything I wanted and won!! I’m very glad that she was my lawyer and not my ex-husband’s!"

  • "If you’re looking for a firm to stand by you, support you and fight for you and your family look no further than Haspel & McLeod."

  • "Gwen McLeod cuts through the mass and mess of information in a divorce, to get to the essence of what is relevant, and to represent her clients’ best interests. She is extremely direct in her delivery, highly organized, and has an excellent and well-coordinated support team. She has excellent relations within the Frederick legal arena, maintaining a high level of professionalism, and has an excellent understanding of family law. "

Office Locations
  • Frederick Office
    141 West Patrick Street
    First Floor
    Frederick, Maryland 21701
    Phone: 301-631-0592
    Fax: 301-631-0595
  • Rockville Office
    51 Monroe Street
    Suite 507
    Rockville, Maryland 20850
    Phone: 301-424-8841
    Fax: 301-424-0569
Awards & Affiliations