Experienced Family Law Attorneys Fighting For You
Thomas M. Weschler, Jr.
- Domestic Violence
Thomas M. Weschler, Jr. became an Associate at McLeod, Weschler & Yeager, P.C. in May 2009 and a Partner in January 2016. Tom was inspired to pursue a career in family law because of the personal experiences of close family members who underwent significant challenges in the family court system. Because of this, Tom strives to listen to all clients, to answer their questions, to help make them feel comfortable and to empower them throughout their cases. He does his very best to provide the compassion and attention each client needs, as he understands family law cases are highly charged emotionally and life-altering.
Tom handles domestic violence cases, complex separation and divorce cases, highly contested child custody and access disputes, alimony and child support cases, contempt and enforcement actions as well as drafts pre-nuptial and separation and property settlement agreements.
A parent himself, Tom has also obtained his certifications in order to represent children in custody dispute cases, and on numerous occasions, has been appointed by the Court to do so in many occasions in several jurisdictions.
Understanding that when parties are able to resolve their differences on their own, they are better able to craft an arrangement that better fits their needs and goals. Tom has been trained as a mediator and regularly attends mediation sessions with his clients. At these mediation sessions, he provides them with counsel, informing them of their rights and options, all in an effort to provide them with the necessary information in order to allow them to make the best decisions about their cases. Tom is also appointed by the Court to serve as a mediator for cases that involve issues related to custody, division of property and support.
From 2014-2022, Tom has been recognized as a Maryland Super Lawyer in Family Law. Tom is also a 2010 graduate of the Maryland State Bar Association's Leadership Development Program. He has received the distinguished David Hjortsberg Award (2014), has served on the Maryland State Bar Association's Board of Governors, and is a Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation. He currently sits on the executive committee of The Maryland Bar Foundation.
A well-rounded professional, Tom stays apprised of the latest changes to the law and how those changes can impact his clients. With his knowledge and experience, he has also been invited to present to other attorneys and mental health professionals about family law matters and the judicial process and has served as a mentor through the bar associations. With deep roots in Maryland, Tom gives back to the community through pro bono work and volunteer activities. He represents clients through the local county pro bono offices, has accepted cases through Maryland Volunteer Legal Services (MVLS) and has assisted at local pro se help desks.
- Widener University School of Law, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 2003
- Maryland Super Lawyers in Family Law, 2014-2016
- 2014 MSBA David Hjortsberg Award
- MSBA's 2009 -2010 Leadership Academy program, graduate
- MSBA Young Lawyers Section - 2010 Industrious Committee Award
- MSBA Young Lawyers Section - 2009 Commitment to Section Award
- The Daily Record, VIP List: Very Important Professionals, Successful by 40, 2016
- MSBA, Edward F. Shea, Jr. Professionalism Award, 2016
- The Daily Record, Leadership in Law Award, 2016
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Frederick County Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA)
- MSBA Board of Governors for the 2012-2014 term
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), Programming Committee, 2010-2011
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), Membership Committee, 2011-2012
- MSBA Young Lawyers Section (YLS), 2014/2015, Chair Elect
- American Bar Association (ABA)
Current Employment Position