Experienced Family Law Attorneys Fighting For You

Maryland Attorneys Help Same-Sex Couples Divorce

Maryland has recognized same-sex marriages since January 1, 2013, and has honored same-sex marriages performed in other jurisdictions since 2010. Even before same-sex marriages could be performed in Maryland, the state’s highest court ruled that same-sex couples legally married in another state could divorce in Maryland.

But, to obtain a divorce in Maryland, you have to meet the state’s residency requirements. And, the fact that many states still fail to recognize same-sex marriages has led many LGBT couples to marry in states other than those in which they regularly reside. That can create complications with state residency requirements when same-sex spouses decide to divorce. Our family law attorneys at McLeod, Weschler & Yeager, P.C., are dedicated to meeting the legal needs of LGBT couples.

Residency Requirements For A Maryland Divorce

To file for divorce in Maryland, at least one spouse must be physically living in Maryland. How long a party must have lived in Maryland before filing a divorce complaint depends on where the grounds for the divorce occurred. If the grounds for divorce occurred in Maryland, you need only to be living in the state at the time you file for divorce. But if the grounds for divorce occurred outside Maryland, at least one of the spouses must have lived in Maryland for at least six months before the filing of the divorce complaint.

What Are The Grounds For A Maryland Divorce?

Maryland offers fault-based and no-fault divorces. The primary difference is that a no-fault divorce requires a 12-month separation before divorce, while a fault-based divorce does not. For a fault-based divorce, you must have one or more grounds, which include:

  • Adultery
  • Desertion
  • Conviction of a crime
  • Insanity
  • Cruel treatment
  • Vicious conduct

With respect to all grounds for divorce, the divorce will not be granted based on your and your spouse’s testimony alone. You must present other evidence, which can include the testimony of another witness or witnesses. If you can’t prove one of the fault-based grounds for divorce, you must go the no-fault route after an uninterrupted 12-month separation. You can file for divorce based on a 12-month separation even if your spouse does not consent to the divorce.

Do You Still Meet The Residency Rules If You Move After You File?

You can move elsewhere in Maryland or even out of state after you file for divorce and still meet the residency requirements. What matters is that you or your spouse resided in Maryland when the divorce complaint was filed. But keep in mind that if you are seeking a no-fault divorce, you will need to prove where you lived during the 12-month separation. Our Frederick and Rockville family law attorneys will help you sort out the residency requirements when you wish to file for a divorce.

Are There Alternatives To A Full-Fledged Divorce?

Maryland has two types of divorce – absolute and limited. A limited divorce determines the rights and obligations of the parties but does not provide for a division of property and does not permit remarriage. An absolute divorce ends the marriage and determines all rights and obligations of the parties, including the final division of property. The grounds for an absolute divorce are listed above on this page. A limited divorce may be granted on one of the following grounds:

  • The spouses are voluntarily living apart and there is no expectation of reconciliation
  • Cruel treatment
  • Vicious conduct
  • Desertion or constructive desertion

Some couples who intend to ultimately file for an absolute divorce will initially file for a limited divorce just to get the process started. If you file for a limited divorce, you can amend the complaint to seek a no-fault absolute divorce once you have been separated for 365 days or by marital consent if you have a comprehensive separation agreement signed.

We Help Same-Sex Couples Throughout Maryland

Our family law attorneys at McLeod, Weschler & Yeager, P.C., help same-sex couples sort out the residency and other requirements for Maryland divorces. Call us at 301-850-7234 or contact us online today. Our offices are in Frederick and Rockville. Our lawyers represent individuals and families throughout Frederick, Montgomery and Howard counties and beyond.