Experienced Family Law Attorneys Fighting For You

Addressing Nonpayment Of Alimony And Child Support

When your ex-spouse violates the terms of a divorce-related court order, including one pertaining to alimony, child support or child custody, your attorney can ask the court to enforce the order. A private separation agreement that was incorporated into a court order also is enforceable by the court.

Regardless of how long ago you divorced, Maryland courts still have jurisdiction over your former spouse so long as they live or own property in Maryland. Even if your ex has left the state, Maryland courts can enforce your support or custody order under the Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act or the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. Our experienced Frederick and Rockville divorce attorneys from McLeod, Weschler & Yeager, P.C., will help you seek relief from the court.

What Can The Court Do To Enforce Its Orders?

When parents or former spouses who have been ordered to pay support do not do so, they can be held in contempt of court. Under its contempt powers, the court can jail violators who have the ability to pay but fail to do so. The state also can launch a criminal prosecution for intentional failure to pay child support.

To collect an arrearage in child support or alimony, the court can place a lien on the violator’s property. The court also can order:

  • Seizure of tax refunds
  • Denial of passport
  • Driver license suspension
  • Professional or occupational license suspension
  • Wage garnishment

The court can use its contempt powers in not only the case of arrearages in support payments but also child custody and visitation matters. The court can modify the original order when a parent denies or obstructs the other parent’s court-ordered custody or visitation. The court also can order the offending parent to pay the other parent’s attorney’s fees and court costs.

What If My Ex-Spouse Ignores The Divorce Order?

In Maryland, the final divorce order typically requires the parties to take various actions to accomplish the division of marital assets, such as changing the title to a car or house or transferring assets from a bank or investment account. If your ex-spouse refuses to make a court-ordered transfer of property, your Frederick divorce attorney has several options, including:

  • File a contempt action to compel your ex to comply with the order
  • Ask the court to appoint a third party to execute the documents necessary to complete the transfer
  • Ask the court to seize the property that was supposed to be transferred to you

If the divorce order required your former spouse to make a lump-sum payment of money to you and they refuse to do so, the court can enter a judgment against your ex. When your former spouse ignores a court order, Maryland law is on your side – and so are our Frederick and Rockville family attorneys.

Contact Us About Enforcement Of Your Divorce Orders

Our lawyers at McLeod, Weschler & Yeager, P.C., will help you enforce court orders relating to alimony, child support or child custody. Call us at 301-850-7234 or contact us online today. Our Maryland attorneys represent individuals and families throughout Frederick, Montgomery and Howard counties. Our offices are in Frederick and Rockville.