Search Site
Enforcement Orders

Maryland Divorce Lawyers Help Enforce Court Orders

Addressing nonpayment of alimony and child support

When your ex-spouse violates the terms of a divorce-related court order, including those pertaining to alimony, child support or child custody, your attorney can ask the court to enforce the order. A private separation agreement that was incorporated into a court order also is enforceable by the court.

Regardless of how long ago you divorced, Maryland courts still have jurisdiction over your former spouse so long as he or she lives or owns property in Maryland. Even if your ex has left the state, Maryland courts can enforce your support or custody order under the Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act or the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. An experienced Frederick & Rockville divorce attorney from Haspel & McLeod, P.C. will help you seek relief from the court.

What can the court do to enforce its orders?

When parents or former spouses who have been ordered to pay support do not do so, they can be held in contempt of court. Under its contempt powers, the court can jail violators who have the ability to pay but fail to do so. The state also can launch a criminal prosecution for intentional failure to pay child support.

To collect an arrearage in child support or alimony, the court can place a lien on the violator’s property. The court also can order:

  • Seizure of tax refunds
  • Denial of passport
  • Driver license suspension
  • Professional or occupational license suspension
  • Wage garnishment

The court can use its contempt powers not only in the case of arrearages in support payments, but also in child custody and visitation matters. The court can modify the original order when a parent denies or obstructs the other parent’s court-ordered custody or visitation. The court also can order the offending parent to pay the other parent’s attorney’s fees and court costs.

What if my ex-spouse ignores the divorce order?

In Maryland, the final divorce order typically requires the parties to take various actions to accomplish the division of marital assets, such as changing the title to a car or house, or transferring assets from a bank or investment account. If your ex-spouse refuses to make a court-ordered transfer of property, your Frederick divorce attorney has several options, including:

  • File a contempt action to compel your ex to comply with the order
  • Ask the court to appoint a third party to execute the documents necessary to complete the transfer
  • Ask the court to seize the property that was supposed to be transferred to you

If the divorce order required your former spouse to make a lump-sum payment of money to you and he or she refuses to do so, the court can enter a judgment against your ex. When your former spouse ignores a court order, Maryland law is on your side — and so are the Frederick & Rockville family attorneys at Haspel & McLeod, P.C.

Contact us about enforcement of your divorce orders

The family law attorneys at Haspel & McLeod, P.C. help you enforce court orders relating to alimony, child support or child custody. Call us at 301-631-0592, or contact us online today. Our Maryland attorneys represent individuals and families throughout Frederick, Montgomery and Howard counties. Our offices are in Frederick and Rockville.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

  • "I just wanted to thank you for all the hard work you’ve put into my case, I want you to know that I appreciate everything you’ve done for me and the girls. You’ve been a great lawyer"

  • "I would highly recommend Gwen. She is an excellent lawyer in terms of her knowledge, as well as her compassion. She fought for everything I wanted and won!! I’m very glad that she was my lawyer and not my ex-husband’s!"

  • "If you’re looking for a firm to stand by you, support you and fight for you and your family look no further than Haspel & McLeod."

  • "Gwen McLeod cuts through the mass and mess of information in a divorce, to get to the essence of what is relevant, and to represent her clients’ best interests. She is extremely direct in her delivery, highly organized, and has an excellent and well-coordinated support team. She has excellent relations within the Frederick legal arena, maintaining a high level of professionalism, and has an excellent understanding of family law. "

Office Locations
  • Frederick Office
    141 West Patrick Street
    First Floor
    Frederick, Maryland 21701
    Phone: 301-631-0592
    Fax: 301-631-0595
  • Rockville Office
    51 Monroe Street
    Suite 507
    Rockville, Maryland 20850
    Phone: 301-424-8841
    Fax: 301-424-0569
Awards & Affiliations